Guide to Visit New York City
Planning a trip to New York City is always exciting for those visiting the Big Apple for the first time. Whether you are travelling as a group or alone, you are sure to enjoy yourself as you gaze at the tall buildings and the fast life that is common in the city. It is a city that you can explore from the top or below and still get to marvel at its various sites during the day or at night. Since New York never sleeps, your movements are never restricted to a certain time or hour allowing you to enjoy the city in its totality no matter your interests.
Visit NYC: History and Main attractions
New York has a rich history that dates back centuries with majority of the moments defining its growth so far. Some moments have been revolutionary like the construction of the city’s subway and others have been tragic like the September 11th terrorist attack. Even so, the city has managed to rise and is considered one of the most iconic capitals in the world.
New York has a number of attractions that receive thousands of visitors all year round. These attractions highlight the history of the city and showcase its wonderful sites to tourists from all over the world. Fortunately, these new york attractions are open to members of the public making them a “must see” when visiting the city. Even though the city has numerous attractions, the main ones include the Empire State Building, Brooklyn Bridge, Central Park, Flushing Meadows, Times Square and the Statue of Liberty.
Things to do in New York
Generally, there are hundreds of things to do in nyc for those travelling alone or with family. The city offers you a chance to engage in many activities that enhance your experience and ensure your trip is memorable. Whether you are looking to spend a little or more than usual, you will find a number of activities that seem like they were designed with you in mind. Below are some things that you must do when visiting New York.
- Enjoy a cruise. Imagine eating a sumptuous meal aboard a cruise while taking in the breathtaking skyline of New York City. The meal which is often served on a yacht gives you a chance to enjoy an intimate meal along or with your significant other.
- Explore famous museums and galleries. Discover the amazing works of art done by emerging artists and famous ones. A visit to the museums in the area will teach you a thing or two about the history of the city and its environs.
- Enjoy scenic rides alongside Hudson River. Watching the sun go down as you ride your bike on the edge of Hudson River is a scene that you will never forget. It is no wonder many tourists make their way to the area in the evenings to partake of this magnificent sight.
- Visiting various tourist sites. A trip to New York without passing by famous sites will make the entire journey incomplete. For a quick glance at the city, you need to visit the Top of the Rock observatory at the Rockefeller Center which offers you scenic views of the entire metropolis.
Tours and New York Attractions
The best way to get a 360 degree view of New York is by booking a tour that will take you throughout the city. Luckily, you do not have to visit every part of the city in one day and can even take a whole week exploring the Big Apple. Majority of the city tours will visit a number of attractions that are popular with tourists visiting the area. These tours vary in terms of cost and the amount of time spent exploring the various sites within the city and its environs.
New York city tours are not limited to bus tours but can also include helicopter rides that bring you as close as possible to the statue of liberty. The tour also allows tourists to enjoy the beautiful architecture of the city from a bird’s eye view, which often leaves them yearning for more. Thankfully these tours are affordable and worth checking out when travelling alone or with family.
Information for your visit
The best way to avoid getting overwhelmed when visiting New York is to have accurate information about the city. Some of the information you will need for your visit include:
- Ensure that travelling documents for the trip are valid.
- If you are planning to drive carry your driving license and confirm that it has not expired.
- Streets in the city are arranged in a grid pattern.
- The subway can get you to any part of the city within the shortest time.
- You can rent a bike from the numerous kiosks to help you move from one place to another while sightseeing.
Best time to visit
New York is a pleasant place to visit all year round for vacation or business. However, if planning to enjoy a well-deserved holiday, you need to visit when the weather is good and the city is not too crowded. April to June is ideal for those planning to visit the city early in the year, while September to November is good for those that prefer travelling later.
Travelling on a budget to New York on a budget is also possible with the best time being between January and February. It is also a great time to get show tickets at low prices allowing you to enjoy your visit even more.
New York weather during the year
When planning your trip to New York, you need to be aware of the seasons to allow you pack the right outfits for your trip. Most times, the city dwellers experience cold winters and humid summers that can be uncomfortable for those visiting. To ensure that your trip is enjoyable you need to take note of the following:
- December to February: The weather is cold and is accompanied by a lot of wind requiring warm clothing. Snow falling on the ground can make walking around a bit hard.
- March to May: The weather is warm and pleasant as is common with the spring season. Visitors need to pack light clothing and sweaters to wear in the evening.
- June to August: The weather is hot and humid due to the summer and often requires garments that are light such as cotton.
- September to November: The fall season is the best in New York because of the abundant sunshine and clear air. Visitors can wear light clothing and warm coats at sundown.
Residents of the US can use the dollar as the currency when visiting New York. The American dollar is the official currency used in the city and is acceptable as legal tender. If you are visiting from another country, you will need to change your money into dollars before you can pay for anything in the city. Fortunately, there are a number of areas to change currency for the benefit of international visitors.
New York Accommodation
You can never lack a place to sleep in New York. The city has numerous hotels that can accommodate small and large groups at reasonable rates. While searching for a place to stay, you have the choice to choose from luxury, mid-tier, hip and budget hotels spread all over the boroughs in the city. Some of the popular boroughs that have high quality accommodation include Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Manhattan and the Bronx. New york hotels can be booked online which makes it easier to browse through a number before settling on your preferred choice. No matter the hotel you pick, you are assured of excellent service that matches the professionalism and hospitality that the city is known for.
Getting around New York can be done in a variety of ways depending on your personal preference. However, for the best experience you should consider using the subway or the bus which allows you to explore most parts of the city from the comfort of your seat. Booking city tours is also a great way to travel around and learn more about the area with the help of a guide.
NYC Trip Planner
Planning your trip in detail beforehand will make your time in New York worth it. It is important to have an idea of the borough your will be visiting and the amount of time you plan to spend there. Whether you are visiting for a short time or an extended time period, it is advisable to plan accordingly. If unsure of your schedule, consider using the services of a trip planner to ensure your vacation is pleasantly memorable.
Where to eat in NYC
In New York City you have access to a wide array of cuisines that will leave your taste buds happy. You can try out foods from Korea, France, Israel and Algeria, all in one day. Even so, there are some particular foods that are synonymous with the city such as bagels and Pastrami. Some of the famous places try out these foods include local eateries and restaurants that serve them to tourists all day long at affordable rates.
The New York nightlife is unmatched across the US with many tourists making their way to the city to experience it for themselves. It does not matter your personal taste, you will enjoy hanging out with friends at the various night spots in the city. You could start off the night at a cocktail den, proceed to a dive bar and crown it all at one of the exclusive dance clubs. Most clubs offer an electrifying experience courtesy of popular DJs that frequent them on a regular basis.
Apart from noisy clubs, New York also offers a diverse range of restaurants and lounges for those that prefer a quiet night. The restaurants can be found across the five boroughs with majority offering delectable meals from all over the world. Ending your night listening to your favorite jazz tunes at the local restaurants is a great way to enjoy your time in the city.
Shopping in NYC
Shopping should be at the top of your list of things to do in new york. The city offers a wide array of high-end stores that stock all the brands that you long to get your hands on. If you are into tech gear and gourmet goods you are likely to be lost for choice when you visit the stores in New York. To narrow down your search, you will need to do some research beforehand on the stores that carry the apparel you desire.
Apart from fashionable items, New York has other stores that cater to the needs of those with eclectic music needs. The music stores are ideal for those that prefer buying their music from record shops across various genres.
In summary, visiting New York is enjoyable when you know what to expect. Plan early and enlist the help of professionals to help you have the time of your life.